My 2017 Chevy Volt cargo tent cover hook broke today. I checked the dealer and they wanted $6 for a replacement. Its the GM Interior-Retainer part number 25913048. It was sold at Amazon as well: https://amzn.to/2rjMZ8C.
I didnt want to spend $6-$7 just to have it break again. So I created a DIY.
NOTE: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! This is video of my experience and story and is for entertainment. You can just take it to your Chevy dealership to fix it.
I removed it and fixed it. You will need the following:
- Epoxy Resin – I use a 5 Minute general use 1300 PSI epoxy resin. https://amzn.to/2SqJbOe
- A scrap paper – to mix the epoxy resin
- A chopstick ( I use a recycled one from my last take out run. ) This will be the support in the cavity of the retainer clip.
- Diagonal Cutter ( this is just to cut the chopstick down to a smaller size).
GM Cargo Tent Retainer CLIP REMOVAL:
- Removing the clip by turning it clockwise about 1/6 rotation and it will pop out.
NOTE: Mine was really tight so I just used my scissor to rotate it out. Doing so will scratch the plastic. I should have used tape on the scissors.
- Get the broken hook and clip.
- If the hook is still intact and fits back on the retainer. Good use it
- If its missing a lot of plastic or does not align back with together well. Just buy a new clip, its not worth it fixing.
- Get your diagonal cutters and Chopstick.
- cut about 8 mm length of chopstick to act as a dowel for hook repair.
- use the cutter to split the 8 mm chopstick to a smaller girth.
- place in cavity to see it if fits? Too big? Cut to adjust. Too small, cut another piece that is bigger.
- Mix Epoxy Resin – Follow the instructions on the box. I used scrap paper to mix the two epoxy parts and applied to the broken pieces.
- Joining the two parts. I placed them face down on the table and added some epoxy to the cavity, then added the fitted 8mm chopstick / dowel, Then filled the entire cavity with the resin, sealing the dowel into the hook and clip.
- Let the epoxy resin set and cure.
- Replace the chip into the cargo area!
- Your done!Do you have the same issue? if so comment below!
This is how i do it for entertainment, do so at your own risk or bring it to a wood shop or furniture repair shop, or a competent handyman. Thanks for watching. They sell new window switches on
Due to factors beyond the control of Sterlingwong, I cannot guarantee against improper use or unauthorized modifications of this information. This information is for entertainment only. Sterlingwong assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. Use this information at your own risk. Sterlingwong recommends safe practices when working on vehicles or items and or with tools seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of Sterlingwong, no information contained in this video shall create any expressed or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage, or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or from the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not Sterlingwong.
Thank you for visiting and supporting SterlingW Youtube Channel!
I enjoy providing interesting lifestyle, cars, how to, food, and shopping blog and vlogs!
My Youtube vlogs may have associated affiliate links to products that I may earn from qualifying purchases.
Or as Amazon puts it: “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” This helps support my channel and content creation.
Thank you for your support!
Thanks for watching! See you next time!
Join me on Youtube: https://youtu.be/TFuoiaWgvc4
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sterlingwong8 ( @sterlingwong8 )
diy, how to fix, chevy volt, corvette, Gmc , Interior Cargo Luggage Retainer Hook Clip 07-19 , Chevrolet, GMC GM part number 25913048, GM quarter panel interior hook, Acadia, Corvette, Enclave, Outlook, Traverse, Volt, GM, Broken Chevy Cargo Cover Hook, fixing chevy cargo cover hook, flimsy cargo cover hook, epoxy, resin, fixing plastic parts, fixing interior trim pieces, chevy volt, chevy corvette, rear cargo cover tent, snapped cargo cover hook,